Friday 28 July 2017

Life Is Better On A Boat

It’s officially summer and the temperatures in South Louisiana are heating up, fast! When I was little, summer meant pool parties and going to the beach. Now that I’m older, I still frequent the pool, but getting away to the beach takes coordination and time we (my husband and I) don’t always have. Instead, taking our boat out can be a day trip or even an overnight trip (if we stay at our friend’s camp), weather permitting!

A little back story: Josh bought a boat three years ago, before we even got married (priorities, am I right?). I’ll admit I was little wary at first, I mean the only boat we’d ever had before that was a canoe. But, ever since then, it’s been a staple in our weekend plans. After all, weekends on the boat are weekends well spent.

Boating in South Louisiana

This past weekend is the first time we’ve been out in a few weeks due to the abnormal amount of rain we’ve seen lately! Tropical Storm Cindy came through and dumped a ton of rain and even flooded the landing where we launch the boat. The docks were under water, but it’s nothing we’ve haven’t seen before and couldn’t work around.

After launching the boat, we wind our way down the creek that leads to the river that then leads the lake. The lake is usually the final destination and where we can wakeboard, tube, and float! P.S. Did anyone see my wakeboard-ing video on Instagram? It was my first day trying it and I was able to get the hang of it!

Josh has taught me everything I know about boating. For the longest time I was too scared to drive the boat–it’s a little different than driving a car y’all. But, I’ve got the hang of it now! Y’all can call me Captain Allison. Of course, a captain is only as good as his co-captain–meet mine: Laney!

Laney loves taking the boat out as much as we do! She loves the wind in her face and the amount of bugs she gets to chase and eat! She’ll even get in the lake from time to time–it gets pretty hot out there and everyone needs to cool off sometimes. To ease the worry of this fur-momma, she always wears her life jacket! My favorite thing about doggie life-jackets is the fact that they have an easy grab handle, in case you need to yank them out of the water!

The ride down the river is so peaceful; you rarely see any other boats (unless it’s Labor Day weekend or Memorial Day weekend). It’s just you, the sunshine, and the gators! Don’t worry; if you don’t bother them, they won’t bother you! Going down the river is the ultimate relaxation and the best way to clear your mind. In fact, I’d argue that going out on a boat does wonders for your well-being!

If you’re still not convinced that a few hours on a boat can make a great getaway, check out the view of the lake! It’s my favorite when it’s smooth as glass. When planning your next adventure on the water, make sure you’re prepared for a day on the water.

TOP BOAT ESSENTIALS

When taking the boat out, I make sure to pack of few things to help make the day run smoothly and so I’m prepared for almost anything! We’ve already covered the first item of business:

Life jackets. We ALWAYS have life jackets in the boat and Laney ALWAYS wears one.
Sunnies. Josh wears his Costas and I always have a pair or two in the boat.

Sunscreen. This is a must even when it’s overcast! I have sensitive skin so brands like Neutrogena and Aveeno work best! Apply and then make sure you reapply.

Snacks on snacks on snacks. I’m currently obsessed with Boom Chicka Pop and Go Squeez Applesauce. Perfect boat snacks! Josh prefers all of the sunflower seeds and sometimes Whales (which he argues are WAY better than Goldfish)!
Towels. You’ll want to dry off after your swim in the lake/river. Towels come in handy if you run into a stray rain shower or two!

Koozie. No one wants cold or wet hands, so make sure you pack a koozie or two! We always store a few in the boat just in case!

An ice chest stocked with drinks. Being out on the boat in the heat of the day can be draining. That’s why we always stock the Yeti with lots and lots of water and other fun drinks!

So what are you waiting for? Get out on a boat today! If you’re interested in owning a boat, visit Discover Boating’s website. They have cost comparison tools that can help make the buying decision easier. Take it from a boat owner, owning a boat is way more affordable than you’d think–and oh so worth it!

Visit the Because I Said So blog for more!

The post Life Is Better On A Boat appeared first on Boating Blog.



from
http://blog.discoverboating.com/life-better-boat/

No comments:

Post a Comment